5 Fun Facts about Haystack Rock
Cannon Beach was named one of National Geographic's 100 Most Beautiful Places in the World and it's not hard to see why, with its beautiful sandy beach crowned by Haystack Rock. Here are a few fun facts about Oregon's most memorable icon.
- 327 foot sea stack (137 feet higher than the Leaning Tower of Pisa!)
- Home to many creatures such as crabs, starfish, sea anemone and sea slugs.
- Has the largest Tufted Puffin colony in the state (April is the best month to plan a trip if you want to see them).
- Formed by lava flows emanating from the Blue Mountains and Columbia basin about 15-16 million years ago.
- The Goonies filmed an opening scene there.